Monday, June 29, 2009

Cream Crackers

I started drinking too early this morning. I dont usually drink. Not since I got out of the hospital and all that. But then, little by little, every now and then, I'll pick up a small bottle of JD, a "pony" it's called. Then the next day a half pint, then on the weekend a full pint. And then, like today, I had some left over from last night so I had some fresh hot coffee with JD mixed in to cool it off and to heat me up. I thought I'd work on these coffee house photos for a change, the ones with people in the photo. I can quit drinking again tomorrow, or some other time after that. At least I dont do drugs anymore, except the perscription kind. Those are even worse. But you know how it is: sometimes I just get bored being sober and straight, unless I'm really into meditation, and practicing clairvoyance, which isnt very often. But I can do it at the gym and really stretch my muscles and build them up, get them hard and tight so I can do my psychic readings, my intuitive counseling. Yeah, right. Does that ever happen to you? So anyway I took my psych-meds this morning, my one little daily dose of anxiety pills that are more addictive than heroin the doctors tell me (thank you, very much! Why'd they get me started on that in the first place if they knew it would be so hard to kick?) I also took three hydrocodone/lortab tabs just for fun to see how it would react with the coffee and JD. They're almost useless compared to morphine sulphate or dilaudid. I dont know if it does anything or not to take this stuff. When I mix chemicals with jazz, fast jazz, hard driving stoned hot avant garde jazz, the kind with no key, no tempo, no melody, no nothing....well, it's too much to resist! Can't do it. It just sucks me in. Ever listen closely to a sax player? Some of these guys play their phrases real easy-like. They slide each note one note into the next note sweetly, blending the notes together softly and smoothly; Stan Getz is like that and that can be OK if I'm in the right mood for it. But there are other players who hit every note hard and separately, they literally hit each note one at a time percussively, rhythmically, individually. Coltrane was like that and a bunch of others. Dexter Gordon's another one. Sonny Rollins. The list goes on. I like that harder sound better than the other smoother sound. Right now I'm listening on web radio to this New York jazz station a recording from Blue Note records, probably early 1960 and it's fast. It's hard. It's over the top and I love it. And drummers. I love it when these guys play with no repetitive rhythms, no time at all, just a lot of movement, and sound, and tight drum heads that glance off the side of their drum sticks and bounce off the walls, the cymbals that sizzle and shine and of course the bass drum that's tuned really high, really tight so it makes a tone, a "boom" "bamb" "pop" musical tone. And when I can hear the click sound of the stick on the cymbal I know that the studio engineer has placed the drum mike right up against the ride cymbal. "Click, click, click!" The heavy ride just floats away and the back hand of the left hand popping that snare drum interactive flesh and bones hitting the bass. It's too much, man. How can I NOT get inspired? My photos sing out to me some kind of scat singing. It's all improvizational. And unpredictable. And I dig it.