Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Honesty and Simplicity

(Cafe 1) I'm letting Hank Bukowski's writing style influence perspectives for my photography. Meaning, I want to take a photo of something just the way it is, just how the thing turned out without any touchups, without doing anything to change it or make it more appealing, or think it's more appealing, or self-edit it, or censor it, or whatever I could do to make it look different, or better than it really is. (Cafe 2) I want to take the photo and leave it alone, like if I was using a typewriter instead of a word processor, where I cant cut and paste and rewrite the damn thing and use spell checker. Like, using an old typewriter and just typing it once and letting it go at that. (Cafe 3)

(Cafe 4) These photos of mostly closed San Francisco cafes, either before or after regular working hours, are some examples of this idea to leave the photo alone no matter how it looks. (Cafe 5) Of course, I selected these and I have others and I'll probably put more up tomrrow. I like the emptiness of them, the colorful way they are designed, the way the reflections appear in the windows. There was no double exposures or any thing like that. (Cafe 6)

(Cafe 7) In some other ways, they have sex appeal and sensuous female vibes, short skirts, high heels, a feeling of transition, of passing crowds going in and out the front door constantly every day, going in and out like thru a revolving door, customers coming and going, impressing people, themselves and each other, credit cards, ordering food in different languages, spending money, cash tips, drinking, entertaining, (Cafe 8) convenience, travel, meetings, business, dating, drinking coffee black, espresso, expensive wine, hard liquor, chop sticks, napkins, bathrooms, valet parking, nice clothes, work clothes, expense accounts, sea food, no smoking, singles, gays, the theater crowd, businessmen, handsome women, repeat business. (Cafe 9) So, I'll put them up here on JPG directly from the camera like plain and honest words typed with simplicity on a piece of paper on a typer. (Cafe 10) And then we'll see. (Cafe 11)